Recipe of the Week: Paleo Chocolate, Caramel & Almond Clusters
Paleo Chocolate, Caramel & Almond Clusters
– 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
– 1 tablespoon coconut oil
– 3/4 cup raw almonds (or nuts of choice)
– 16 pitted dates
– 1 cup almond or other non-dairy milk
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– sea salt
– First put dates in a bowl of water and allow to soak for at least 30 minutes. The longer they soak, the easier they’ll be to blend.
– Put chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Add coconut oil, if using. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between, until melted and smooth. Divide nuts evenly between the cavities of a muffin tin (mine had 12).
– Drizzle with a little chocolate, just until all nuts are covered a little. Place tin in freezer or refrigerator to set.
– Put dates in a food processor and run until they form a paste, scraping down the sides. Add the milk gradually (you might not use the whole cup) until the mixture comes together in a relatively smooth sauce.
– Keep scraping down the sides of the food processor to ensure the date pieces are getting blended. This took me about 15 minutes.
– Divide caramel evenly between the 12 nut clusters, then top with chocolate.
– Sprinkle with a little sea salt and return to the fridge of freezer to set. When ready to serve, carefully pop from the muffin tin (a butter knife is good for this).
2019 04 22