Recipe of the Week: Chilled Asparagus Soup
Chilled Asparagus Soup (serves 4-6)
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 white onion, minced
– 2 stalks celery, minced
– 1 lb. asparagus, woody ends removed and sliced into 1-inch lengths
– 2 bay leaves
– 1 teaspoon salt
– ½ teaspoon white pepper
– 6 cups vegetable stock
– 2 medium avocados
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and celery and cook over medium heat until onions and celery are translucent, about 10 minutes.
– Add the asparagus, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Sauté for another 3 minutes.
– Add the vegetable stock and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the stovetop and allow to come to room temperature.
– Add the soup, avocado, and lemon juice to a high-powered blender. Blend until creamy.
– Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving.
– Garnish with lemon cream, parsley, and asparagus spears if desired.
(Lemon Cream Recipe: ½ cup raw cashew pieces, soaked for at least 4 hours, ¼ cup water, 4 tablespoons lemon juice, Salt. Rinse the soaked cashews and add them to a high-powered blender. Add in the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Store in the refrigerator.)
2018 03 15